College Preparation Resources
“GOING TO COLLEGE” Guidebook
This document is the electronic copy of the 120-page “Going to College” guide used with Westside parents and students. Below, it is separated into 4 sections for quicker downloading and viewing
Going to College Condensed Timeline (2 page summary)
WCHS Profile — This document is sent to colleges and universities with student transcripts so admissions personnel may better understand the context of our student’s course selection and grades.
SAT/ACT Information Westside’s CEEB code is 380936
College Preparation Through Testing – An overview of Westside’s standardized testing program.
- PLAN (pre-ACT) – Click to view Westside’s historical PLAN test results.
- PSAT – Click to view Westside’s historical PSAT test results.
- PSAT Parent Tutorial – A 2-page flyer explaining how to interpret score results.
- SAT Test Dates for current year.
- SAT Registration – A link to the College Board site and online registration.
- SAT History for Westside Christian High students in comparison to State and National averages.
- ACT Test Dates for current year.
- ACT Registration – A link to the ACT site and online registration.
- ACT History for Westside Christian High students in comparison to State and National averages.
SAT/ACT Test Prep Providers in the Portland Area
- Acer Logic
- ACT Prep PDX
- College Bound Test Prep
- Cornerstone Learning
- Huntington Learning Center
- Kaplan Test Prep
- Khan Academy (online)
- Princeton Review
- TutorMe Online ACT test prep program at a reduced cost of $79. (westsidechristian is the code to use at checkout)
- Your Steps to College (individual tutoring)
College Search Resources
- College Scorecard – A Department of Education site with comparisons of attendance costs and graduate’s earnings.
- College Destinations of Westside graduates over the past 5 years.
- Choosing a College – A document suggesting a “10 step” method of approaching the college search process.
- Websites for the College Search Process – This document has a list of current websites which may serve as useful resources in the college search process.
- Christian Colleges West Coast – Database of Christian colleges on the west coast.
- US News College Rankings – Yearly rankings from this well-known publication.
- Admissions at Selective Universities – A 22-minute video from the dean of admissions at Vanderbilt University.
- What Are My Chances Calculator – A section of the Cappex website where you can see SAT/ACT vs. GPA data for admitted and denied students at most universities.
- Common Application – An online application accepted at over 500 colleges and universities across the nation.
- Oregon Colleges – A link to the websites of all colleges in the state of Oregon.
College Athletics Resources
- NCAA Eligibility Requirements – A 4-page fact sheet which provides core course and SAT/ACT guidelines required to qualify for an athletic scholarship at an NCAA division 1 or 2 school.
- NCAA College Bound Student Athlete – A 38-page brochure with everything you need to know about becoming an NCAA student-athlete.
- NCAA Eligibility Center – Link to the NCAA Clearinghouse site for any student potentially competing in college athletics at an NCAA Division 1 or 2 school.
- NAIA Guide for for the College Bound Student Athlete – A similar document to that produced by the NCAA but outlining policies and practices of NAIA schools.
- NAIA Eligibility Center – Link to the NAIA Eligibility Center for any student potentially competing in college athletics at an NAIA school. This is not the same as the NCAA Clearinghouse.
- Federal Student Aid Website – This is the portal site for all things related to Federal Student Aid.
- Understanding the FAFSA — A link to a page on the BestColleges.com website which details the ins and outs of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
- Paying for College – A 20-page document with helpful information around this topic of paying for college.
- Merit Aid – Another 20-page document entitled “20 Insider Strategies” which describes merit aid and how to get it.
- Partner college scholarships at Grand Canyon University and Northwest Nazarene University.
- Going Merry
- LendEDU — Has good scholarship search engine, not just for lending.
- Tuition Funding Sources
- The Scholarship Page
- Office of Student Access and Completion – This website allows you to apply for scholarships which are specifically tied to public and private colleges in the state of Oregon.
Need-based Aid Resources
- FAFSA Primer – A document which explains the FAFSA in just one page.
- FSA ID – A link to the federal site where you request a PIN used to sign the FAFSA electronically.
- FAFSA on the Web – A link to the federal government site to complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid online.
- CSS/Profile – Some colleges require submission of this form instead of the FAFSA as part of their financial aid process. This link takes you to the College Board’s Profile page.
Vocation and Calling in the Christian faith – a lengthy article published by the Theology of Work Project.