Thank you to all of those who joined us for the YouTube Premiere on Tuesday, May 26th of Westside Christian High School's Virtual Spring Concert and Art Show. If you missed it, you can watch it on demand at this link.
This 75-minute concert will feature Westside Voices, Soli Deo Gloria, Concert Choir, Concert Band, an EagleBeat Drumline performance, and an Ignite (worship team class) presentation. We will also be showcasing select artwork from Westside’s art students.
The music students worked hard this winter and spring developing music for the State Championships, as well as for the Spring Concert and other festivals that were scheduled. It was so hard to lose most of these events and the opportunities to showcase these talented students. Our art students have also been working hard on their projects this spring.
Sing with excellence
Show the love of Christ
- Soli Deo Gloria: Students also have the opportunity at the end of the school year to tryout for the varsity mixed ensemble, Soli Deo Gloria, for the upcoming year. This varsity group has an annual tour singing around Portland through the holiday season.
- Concert Choir: All Soli Deo Gloria singers join our choir to comprise our Oregon 3A State Championship Concert Choir. Each year the Concert Choir competes in a District choral competition to qualify for the Oregon state choral competition. Westside’s choir has qualified to compete in the OSAA State Choral Competition for the past seventeen years and has won the State Championship for the last thirteen consecutive years. By invitation only, the choir has participated in the National Festival of the States in Washington D.C. and at Carnegie Hall. They have also performed at the National Cathedral and the Russell Senate Building.
- Worship Class (Ignite): In the fall of 2005 Westside began offering a worship class. In this class students discuss the role of worship in the life of the believer and develop skills that aid students in leading the body of Christ in corporate worship. These students serve the student body by providing musical leadership during the weekly chapels.
- Concert Band: In 2016, Will Fox, Music Director, started the Westside Christian High School Concert Band. In only its second year, the Concert Band won its first state championship and then won again in 2019 with only 9 students. The Concert Band continues to be a growing program at Westside Christian offering the opportunity for students to learn and develop their musical talents.
- Drumline: Westside Christian offers a unique opportunity for students to learn to play marching percussion instruments in the WCHS Drumline. This group is open to all students and provides an exciting and dynamic performing arts environment that trains them to work together with precision as they play the rhythmic patterns inherent in a marching drum line. Drumline performs primarily at student athletic events, as well as community festivals.